Note: You can usually open the interesting advertisement/sponsor links in a new window/tab by RIGHT CLICKING the Ad-Link
then selecting 'Open in New Window' or 'Open in New Tab' from the drop down box. (depending on ad type)

What Do You Think? Forum Index What Do You Think?
A discussion board of different ideas and topics.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TRoach.Net
r_frame.gif TRoach.Org

A biblical question sort of?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    What Do You Think? Forum Index -> Christianity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oliviapungal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: A biblical question sort of? Reply with quote

I have been attending a large church in a small town. However, the small community I live in have several members of that church that keep strife going all the time. It is like a war zone. One lady calls others lying hypocrites. She refuses to go with me to the church council or to the Pastor. I do not think the pastor realizes what problems are going on.

Where in scripture does it say members of a church should seek council in resolving disputes rather than create a hostile situation in their neighbourhood?
jerrys1960

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While quoting scripture can be a solution . . . In this case it sounds like you have a person that just likes to cause problems (or get attention) and can probably quote to you many more examples showing she is correct in what she is doing. Don’t waste your time getting into a "bible verse duel" . . . It is counter productive.

It is one thing if the persons concerns are real. As sometimes there are legitimate problems in a church that need to be fixed. However, simply complaining about the issue(s) is not the answer.

However, it is quiet another if they are just making stories up or just spreading rumors. At which point if the accusations are false you might point out some of the simplest things from the bible, like "not bearing false witness" or "do unto others as you would have others do unto you".

The fact she refuses to do anything to try to fix the problem suggests one of two things, either she believes that the leadership of the church is corrupt or she really just wants to make trouble.

You may also want to talk to some of the church leadership yourself, however, keep in mind that if they do go talk to the person, I suspect she will deny that she has any problems with the church or the leadership. (Making you look like a liar.) But it might still be a good idea to go to the church leadership and let them know what is going on, more in the form of a question, like, "There is a person doing these things, what would you suggest is the best thing to do to help ease the tensions?"

Personally, I would suggest the next time she starts complaining to you, to ask her to come with you again to talk to some trusted members of the church leadership, if not the senior pastor, to try to resolve the problem. If she refuses, ask why she will not go or do anything to help resolve the problem. I suspect she will give some lame, "it will not do any good type reason".

At which point, I would suggest doing something very cold that she would not expect, and say, "If you are not willing to help fix the problem and you believe that the church leadership is no good, perhaps it is time to look for a new church. We will hate to see you go, but perhaps it is for the best, since obviously you will never be really happy or comfortable here."

If nothing else it will shake the person up and get them to think about what they are really doing.

Something I think is important to remember (which perhaps she as well as others need to be reminded about) regarding people, the church, religion and faith in Our Creator:

Never confuse the practices of the people with the church,
Never confuse the practices of the church with religion,
And Never Ever confuse the practices of religion with God.
oliviapungal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. She has lived alone ever since her divorce. I think I agree she stirs up trouble for the attention. I sent her another invite to go with me to the pastor. We will see what happens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    What Do You Think? Forum Index -> Christianity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: