Note: You can usually open the interesting advertisement/sponsor links in a new window/tab by RIGHT CLICKING the Ad-Link
then selecting 'Open in New Window' or 'Open in New Tab' from the drop down box. (depending on ad type)

What Do You Think? Forum Index What Do You Think?
A discussion board of different ideas and topics.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TRoach.Net
r_frame.gif TRoach.Org

My mission's accomplished: Edward Snowden

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marieodess

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: My mission's accomplished: Edward Snowden Reply with quote

I have to wonder if he really decided to quit or if the governments finally found the right buttons to push to get him to shut up?

copied from
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/my-missions-accomplished-edward-snowden/story-e6frg6so-1226789502283

My mission's accomplished: Edward Snowden

NATIONAL Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden says his "mission's already accomplished" after revealing NSA secrets that have caused a reassessment of US surveillance policies.

Mr Snowden told The Washington Post that he was satisfied because journalists have been able to tell the story of the government's collection of bulk internet and phone records, an activity that has grown dramatically in the decade since the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

"For me, in terms of personal satisfaction, the mission's already accomplished," he said. "I already won."

"As soon as the journalists were able to work, everything that I had been trying to do was validated," Mr Snowden told the Post. "Because, remember, I didn't want to change society. I wanted to give society a chance to determine if it should change itself."

Mr Snowden's leaks about intelligence have angered and embarrassed nations around the world.

The revelations that Australian intelligence tried to listen to Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono's phone have caused diplomatic tensions between Canberra and Jakarta.

President Barack Obama hinted on Friday that he would consider some changes to NSA's bulk collection of Americans' phone records to address the public's concerns about privacy.

His comments came in a week in which a federal judge declared the NSA's collection program probably was unconstitutional. A presidential advisory panel has suggested 46 changes to NSA operations.

Mr Snowden was interviewed in Moscow over two days by Post reporter Barton Gellman, who has received numerous leaks from the former NSA contractor. The interview was conducted six months after Mr Snowden's revelations first appeared in the Post and Britain's Guardian newspaper.

Gellman described Mr Snowden as relaxed and animated over two days of nearly unbroken conversation, fuelled by burgers, pasta, ice cream and Russian pastry.

In June, the Justice Department unsealed a criminal complaint charging Mr Snowden with espionage and felony theft of government property. Russia granted him temporary asylum five months ago.

The effects of Mr Snowden's revelations have been evident in the courts, Congress, Silicon Valley and capitals around the world, where even US allies have reacted angrily to reports of US monitoring of their leaders' cellphone calls.

Brazil and members of the European Union are considering ways to better protect their data and US technology companies such as Google, Microsoft and Yahoo are looking at ways to block the collection of data by the government.

Mr Snowden, now 30, said he is not being disloyal to the US or to his former employer.

"I am not trying to bring down the NSA, I am working to improve the NSA," he said. "I am still working for the NSA right now. They are the only ones who don't realise it."

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment about the Snowden interview.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    What Do You Think? Forum Index -> Politics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: